eczema also known as dermatitis is a skin disorder. It causes the skin to become ed, itchy and scaly. The cause it not known. anti-inflammatory medications are available to try and control the disorder. It may affect any part of the body. Although it looks unpleasant, it is not contagious.
There are several types of eczema with the most common ones related to allergies.
- Atopic eczema
- This is caused by allergic reactions such as Asthma or hay feaver. This is the most common type of eczema.
- Allergic contact dermatitis
- This is because someone has a direct contact with an irritant.
- Irritant contact dermatitis
- Caused by a chemical substance. eg Detergents
- Infantile seborrhoeic eczema
- Common in babies under 1 year old the exact cause is unknown. It starts off on the scalp or the nappy area and spreads quickly. It may look bad but it does not cause the baby to feel uncomfortable. This will usually clear up in a few months.
- Adult seborrhoeic eczema
- Affects adults between the ages of 20 and 40. This affects the scalp, face, and upper body.
- Varicose eczema
- Occurs mainly in older people as a result of poor circulation in the legs.
- Discoid eczema
- Small disc shaped spots that will disappear on their own.
Eczema dries out the skin. Keep the infected area moist which will promote healing. This is the most effective self-care treatments you can do.